- 2 large egg whites
- 120 grams of granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Prepare the Egg Whites: Separate the egg whites from the yolks, ensuring that no traces of yolk are present in the whites. Place the egg whites in a clean, dry mixing bowl.
- Whip the Egg Whites: Using an electric mixer or a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, beat the egg whites until they form soft, fluffy peaks. This will usually take a few minutes.
- Add Sugar Gradually: With the mixer still running, slowly add the granulated sugar one spoonful at a time. This gradual addition allows the sugar to dissolve into the egg whites, resulting in a stable and glossy meringue.
- Incorporate Lemon Juice: Once all the sugar has been added and the meringue is glossy and holds stiff peaks, gently fold in the lemon juice using a spatula. The lemon juice adds a delightful zesty flavor to your meringue.
- Preheat the Oven: Preheat your oven to 120-130 degrees Celsius (250-265 degrees Fahrenheit). Make sure to use a thermometer to ensure accurate temperature.
- Prepare Baking Sheet: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. You can also use a silicone baking mat for easy removal.
- Pipe or Spoon the Meringue: You can create beautiful shapes by piping the meringue onto the prepared baking sheet using a pastry bag and a decorative tip. Alternatively, use a spoon to create rustic mounds of meringue.
- Bake: Place the baking sheet with the meringue in the preheated oven. Bake for approximately 50 minutes or until the meringues are crisp on the outside and slightly chewy on the inside. The exact time may vary depending on your oven, so keep a close eye on them.
- Cool: Once the meringues are done, turn off the oven but leave the meringues inside with the oven door slightly ajar for about 15-20 minutes to cool slowly. This helps prevent cracking.
- Serve and Enjoy: Once fully cooled, remove the meringues from the oven and enjoy your light and airy lemon meringues. They make a delightful treat on their own or as a topping for desserts like pavlova or lemon pie.